[G4] Appleworks/MS Excel

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Tue Apr 6 17:56:27 PDT 2004

Anne,
Appleworks 6 includes translators that will pick up the formulas in
Excel. You don't even need to export the file. Start Appleworks and use
the Open option and make sure you choose the proper file format at the
bottom of the dialog. This should open all but the most complex
spreadsheets with the formulas intact in Appleworks. You might loose
some of the pretty formatting, though.

As far as Excel, 98 works well in Classic for me. I did pick up the
Student and Teacher edition of Office v. X when Amazon had it for $100,
as both my kids use it for homework. But as long as 98 still works for
you, there's no pressing reason to spend a bunch of money if you don't
mind Classic. Just make sure you have your computer backed up in case
of corruption.
Mel

"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are
still rolling."
  ~ Mark Twain