Sound Throughput

Lavode lavode at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 20:58:29 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a Yikes!/400, running OS X 10.3.  I have a portable CD player
connected via 1/8" cable from the CD Player's Line Out port to my
Yikes' Sound In port.  I have a pair of external speakers hooked up to
the Sound Out port (headphone jack).  I go into the Sound preference
panel, play a CD in the portable, and select Input in the Preference
Pane.  I can see the level meter moving, so I know that sound is coming
in.  I make sure the sound out is the Headphone jack, and I can get
system sounds playing over the speakers, as well as iTunes playing
music.  However, there is no sound from the portable CD player.

Reason I want to do this:
I just bought a new CD, and it won't play on my machine.  I suspect it
is a copy protected disc.  So I don't want to use headphones, I just
want to listen to the stupid thing.  I don't want to drag another
larger home player into the computer room.

Ultimately, I was able to do this kind of thing on my 7300 just fine,
why won't my Yikes do it?

TIA,
Lavode