[G4] Sound Output Choppy/Fails During Outbound Network Activity?

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Apr 9 18:21:13 PDT 2004

Griffin Technologies' <http://griffintechnology.com/ >products are
generally designed for the Mac environment, but many are ecumenical.
I find their products to be well engineered and of high quality. I
bought the PowerWave so that one of these days, if I ever can get
around to it, I can record some old LP albums from my turntable into
iTunes and even burn CDs from them.  But, it is disconcerting to try
to listen to CDs and have the sound go all distorted and tinny.  I
take the sound from the earphone jack of the PowerWave amplifier and
run it into an amplified  speaker system (Yamaha YST-MS30) with dual
inputs (my PC is also connected directly into the speaker system).

BTW, I also noticed the same tinny distortion when I downloaded
digital movies from my camera into iMovie.  I thought that the whole
production would be ruined, and only when I played the final DVD did
I learn that the sound was perfect.  Must have been the PowerWave all
along, and my not knowing that at the time.

Again, I wonder if the USB bus (v1.1) is being overloaded.

--Steve