[G4] Slow Preformance

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Apr 15 06:47:42 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004, at 19:15 Canada/Eastern, David Whipple
wrote:

> [...] G4 933 w/ max ram of 1.25 gigs is slowing down a lot. I running
> OS 10.2.8
> and I do a lot of DV editing in iMovie 3.0.3 and that is very slow. I
> am down to
> about 7 gigs of disk space(out of 60). [...]

I tried iMovie on a similar set-up and was very unhappy with the
result. IMHO, the problem is iMovie, not the system software. Of
course, OS X wants lots of RAM and disk space (as a rule-of-the-thumb,
try to have roughly 10% of your boot drive free), but iMovie is simply
not designed for speed. Big and fast hard drive(s) will help,
especially if you do video editing, so will more RAM (wouldn't try it
with less than 1GB), but don't expect any great improvement from iMovie.