USB 2.0 PCI Card for G4-400 AGP

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 17:54:23 PDT 2004

I decided that I finally need to upgrade my G4-400 AGP running OS
10.2.8 to add additional USB 2.0 ports. I wanted to put in a PCI card
that has 4 or 5 ports to cover expansion needs as my older peripherals
gradually bite the dust and are replaced by USB products.

	At this point I don't need additional firewire ports so the combos are
out. They seem to be much more expensive too.

	When I started my product research, I found a gazillion of these
products but none that I'm sure are fully Mac compatible. None of the
Belkins that I looked at say they're Mac compatible.  I've found horror
stories in reviews where the card was totally incompatible with OS-X,
others where suitable Mac drivers didn't exist, and poor descriptions
regarding which USB standard the card supports.

	1) Any suggestions for a card that works and has OS-X drivers
available?

	2) Related question: If I have the original USB ports occupied with
USB 1.0 peripherals will things plugged into the new card still operate
at the higher speeds.  Seems as if they ought to, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks,
John