[G4] Assembling a USB Drive

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Apr 20 12:45:55 PDT 2004

One of the criteria that you will need to keep aware of is the actual
physical size of the drive. There are sizes from 9.5mm thick to 19.5mm.
Some external cases will only accept certain thicknesses. Each case
manufacturer has different construction standards and you will need to
be sure that you purchase a size that will allow your case to close
completely.

The capacity of the drive does not matter in this instance. I have used
drives from 170Kb up to 30Gb in the same case and they all worked
perfectly after formatting. As long as Apple Drive Setup recognizes the
drive, you should have no problems regardless of the capacity drive
that you get.

As for the data transfer speed issue, I really have not seen any
problem with using 5400RPM drives. The data seems to transfer quickly
enough for my needs. Perhaps other people are concerned about absolute
speed, but I can't see that concern affecting your need. Backing up
data and transferring files isn't that much different from actually
creating the files in the first place and being concerned about the
time difference between a 7200RPM and a 5400RPM drive transfer rate
seems to be very anal-retentive to me.