OT, Dead APC backup

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 20 20:01:13 PDT 2004

Most times the units will function with a new battery installed, but
you must open it to see what battery specifically it needs and most
times batteries are need what a new unit costs.  When you want to open
a UPS pay attention to the Htz.  50-60 Htz is the same frequency as the
human heart.  So, with the right frequency you can jump-stop your
heart.  Always use insulated pliers to uncouple the batteries to avoid
a shock.  Thankfully this frequency is very rare in UPSes that are
sold, therefore most are reasonably safe to work inside - just be
careful.  By the way, they are very simple devices inside.

Most battery companies sell only minimum orders and a single UPS does
not require enough batteries to surpass the minimum order - collect
them up and fix all at once.

Don't forget to recycle the batteries - the dumps do not need the toxic
chemicals from your batteries.  In Canada, Canadian Tire and some Fire
Stations will take them at no charge.

jj