[G4] learning to carbonize?

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 19:05:57 PDT 2004

When you download a commercial program like OE, it is in a form called
"object code". The programming language ("source code") used to write
it (probably "C") has been "compiled" into a language the computer can
understand. It is legal to download and use the program, but to modify
it requires the source code.
Unless you have the source code, you cannot carbonize something.
Companies like Microsoft protect their source code and you aren't
allowed to modify or even see it. So, no, it is not legal to make OE
run in OS X, even if you could come up with the source somehow.
Carbonizing is not a trivial undertaking and certainly is not "a
plugin". It requires knowledge of software engineering, developer tools
and plenty of time to accomplish. Hope this answers your questions.
Mel

"Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."
  ~ Harry Vardon