[G4] G4 500 Freeze Problems

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 20:33:45 PDT 2004

> So, two questions. Is there some known solution to my G4 freeze ups in
> 9.2.2 and can I use the Seagate (or something else) for an outboard OS
> X?

Greg -
	A year ago I was having 9.2.2 freeze ups quite frequently. I never did
find the causes. I fairly sure it was caused by extension conflicts.
But I had a gazillion extensions and lacked the patience required to
complete the trouble shoot process. It was much easier just to restart
and go get a cuppa coffee.
	My core apps Photoshop and Finale too were only available for OS 9. I
finally got fed up with the lock-ups,  purchased a second disc drive
and installed OS-X just to see what all the fuss was all about. (And
besides some games were beginning to appear that wouldn't work in OS-9
:-) )
	The long and short of it is ALL my core apps work just fine in Classic
mode. And I have never had a freeze up of any kind since I went to
OS-X. The actual installation conversion took just minutes but it took
ME about three months to be sure that I could handle everything I
needed to in the new system.  I think I've last booted into OS 9.2.2
about 9 months ago. Now that I'm really comfortable with OS-X,  I do
most of my work in X and run in Classic mode whenever I need to. Sure
I'll be looking to upgrade my core apps when they get too old and
doddery, but for now I quite happy with what I've got.

I encourage you to get that extra drive and try out OS-X. Keep the old
drive for your 9.2.2 system till you feel you can get along with out it.

I'm pretty sure you can use the Seagate for an outboard drive as long
as it will fit into the enclosure. Check out
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/   There will be a lot of reports of
different drives being used in your particular machine model.  I've
found it to be a very useful resource.

HTH
John