[G4] Linux (but really OT)

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Apr 24 05:39:45 PDT 2004

     Don wrote:

>Ahem.... perhaps more accurate to say Lunar Module Pilots or
>else Lunar Excursion Vehicle (Lunar Rover) drivers.  The lunar
>module got them there while the Rover was their surface
>transportation once they arrived.
>
>But...since this is way off topic... I really had a question
>about installing linux on a G3....which is at least closer.
>
>I'm using ethernet to 'rearrange the furniture' between two
>machines to prepare hard drive space and configure stuff.
>
>Who among this group is familiar with running Linux on a G3?
>My info / experience to this point is that attempting to install
>Linux on a (beige 300 mhz) G3 is akin to removing my own teeth
>with rusty pliers and without benefit of novacaine.  Thus far
>it was an exercise in extraordinary time wasting...I guess
>I'm a glutton for punishment somehow.
>
>I attempted to start to install both Yellow dog & MKlinux
>a while back.  Anybody familiar care to talk about it off list?

     If my memory serves, in fact it was called the lunar excursion
module (and hence the pronunciation, "LEM,") before being NASAized as
the Lunar Module. I have no idea why, except perhaps to distinguish
it from the Rover.

     On topic (but still off topic re: G4's), I, too installed MkLinux
on a G3 (albeit a B&W one) about six years ago. It was, indeed, a
waste of time. The UI was a poor simulacrum of the Windows of the
day, and nothing from the outside world would make properly. I can
only hope that's changed.

     Even more OT, congratulations on keeping some seriously old machines.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA