[G4] Airport

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 15:31:35 PDT 2004

Be sure you know what kind of airport card the eMac takes.  The G4 iBook will take the Airport Extreme card.  If both take the Airport Extreme card, you will want to get an Airport Extreme basestation.  If both machines work with the Extreme, then networking between them will work at a max speed of 54Mbps depending on where they are at and what is between them.

The basestation comes in two flavors (with modem & antenna port and without).  If you use DSL or cable modem (ie., you do not use a modem to dial up over your phone line to an ISP), then you can opt for the "without" version which is $199.

If you feel comfortable with Ebay, you can sometimes get the cards about $10-20 cheaper than a store.  If you don't, then the cards run about $90.

jim