[G4] Flicker on an older i-mac

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Wed Apr 28 06:57:34 PDT 2004

At 20:46 -0500 4/27/04, Ron Steinke wrote:
>Many people have sold this type of CD. There hasn't been any objection by Apple to eBay about those sellers, so I am assuming that Apple does not care a fig about that information being distributed in this manner.

I have several of those CD's including some originals.

They do tell you how to open and reassemble case. The proper order is rarely obvious and you can avoid breaking plastic parts using the RTFM principle.

But they NEVER contain the things you need like a schematic, voltage levels, part locations on a printed circuit board, component values, frequencies, waveforms. Internal pin designations on connectors are missing though external pinouts are available elsewhere.

It makes sense when you realize that Apple service centers are never allowed to change a part on a board. In fact I don't think they are allowed to have a soldering iron in the shop. If the mother board doesn't work, replace it. That's hardly a solution for a Mac Classic that needs a few new capacitors.

The manuals for earlier Macs were prepared in Hypercard and you could do some skipping around with links. The CD's are usually PDF prints of the Hypercard pages and the linking is lost.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--