[G4] getting a graphics card...

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Wed Apr 28 16:35:01 PDT 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 14:07, Ron Steinke wrote:

> While I understand what you are talking about (flashing a card), I
> have never done it myself. Could you provide a little more information
> on that procedure? What software, machine, peripherals, etc, that are
> needed to do this and how it is done?
>
> Thanks for giving new information to those of us that are still
> learning "how to do it yourself" on the Macintosh.
>
> On Apr 26, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Ralph Garrett wrote:
>
> If you can get an ATI 8500 64 MB for PC's,  they easily flash for Mac
> use and work without a hitch. I use one and have flashed several
> others for friends.

Info here    http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

I flash on a Sawtooth. I perform the flashing operation "blind" meaning
I don't have a monitor hooked up.

Download the Radeon8500Flasher.sit file near the bottom of the page.
Boot into OS9 and set it to start with the base set of extensions.
Place the Radeon 8500 Firmware RESTORE file in your startup items
folder in OS9. Shut your computer down and place the ATI 8500 card in
the AGP slot but DO NOT hook a monitor to it. Now start your computer
and wait 10 minutes. Shut down and attach your monitor and start up
again. Now you can DL the latest Radeon 8500 Firmware UPDATE directly
from ATI and use it to update the card. You can also DL the latest
drivers for OS9 and OS X from ATI too. It's worked flawlessly more than
once but I only flash ATI cards, not the cards made with ATI chipsets
by other manufacturers. And don't try it with a 128 MB card, only one
person I know has successfully flashed one and it has problems from
time to time.

HTH

Ralph