[G4] Tips for Buying a new Hard Drive

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Apr 29 20:41:10 PDT 2004

On Thursday, April 29, 2004, at 11:25  PM, Amir 'CG' Caspi wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, James Asherman wrote:
>
>> LaCie doesn't make drives. They make drive cases.
>
> Yes, you're right, they make drive cases.  But they put pretty good
> drives
> in them.  And they do sell cases with drives included on their website
> or
> through retailers.  As I said, the d2 250GB drive (plus case!) is a
> great
> item to buy.
>
> 						--- Amir

I'm sure it is and that they put nice drives in them. I use LaCie
equipment. My monitor is a LaCie. It's a Mitsubishi.
  Nevertheless this thread up till now was focusing on thing like  speed
capacity and memory buffers.
So we are talking raw drives. In every PC shop there are PILES of WD
drives (busted), this is only partly accounted for by their popularity.
Draw your own conclusions.
Maxtor has gotten an iffy and I have had quite a few Maxtors, some
tough as nails and some that crapped out after two years as stated
previously.
I have also had several IBM's and while fast they are quirky. Hitachi
now.
However I have had now two scsi Seagate barracudas and three seagate
Elite cinderblocks and two ATA Seagate barracudas. All used for video.
For speed , quietness, and reliabitlty I believe these to be the drives
to buy considering that we are talking some pretty cheap money and
expensive data.
You run out of space in your tower a LaCie case is definitely good.
Stick another barracuda in it.
  Jim