Adding HD capacity..

Stephen L. Phillips digame at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 30 06:48:15 PDT 2004

Help, again?? (thanks to all  who posted and replied to my queries re:
remote desktop access!)...
Just got off the phone with Apple support (yep, spent the big bucks for
Applecare!), but - although gracious and polite - their tech rep wasn't
particularly knowledgeable with regard to my question, which is this:

I have a G4/933 (768M RAM, 2 internal 60G's) and need to add significant
hard drive capacity for digital video conversion and storage. How large
a drive can I install, and how many more (considering the fact that
there are two internal's already? Also, would it be better to add an
external firewire drive, and - if so - how large can I go?

I've seen posts at XLR8 indicating that some have added 160-250G drives
with no problems, but - although I'm well versed in MAC software
programs (used 'em for years, love 'em!), my technical skills are
rudimentary (at least with respect to diagnosis.. but point me in the
direction to go and tell me how, and I'm more than willing to tackle
anything!).

I (of course) ultimately seek something in the "plug-n-play" genre, but
am willing to undertake more in-depth install requirements, if required,
in exchange for the ability to add mega-meg's (read that: GIG'S
PLUS++++) to my system.

As always, I will rely upon the collective wisdom the membership of this
list is willing to provide!

Thank you!

Steve Phillips
Two Harbors, Minnesota