[G4] Encrypted Hard Disk

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Thu Apr 22 19:36:37 PDT 2004

--On Thursday, April 22, 2004 3:15 AM -0500 Michael Ron
<ronmicha at midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

> I keep client material on separate, external hard drives.  One contains
> sensitive data. Do you know of a way to keep this disk encrypted except
> when we're using it? Is there a program I can use. Can't use OSX built in
> security since it's for the Home folder.

Using Disk Utility (Panther) or Disk Copy (earlier), create a new disk
image and make it encrypted. It's perfectly fine to make the image big
enough to fill (almost) all the disk. The encryption is first-rate (AES),
and you can keep the password in your keychain if you care to.

This means you'll have to either double-click the disk image after mounting
the disk, or arrange for this to be done automatically. (You can put an
alias to the disk image somewhere convenient and open *that*.)

The problems with File Vault (such as they are) are related to FV-specific
features, and don't apply to "plain" disk images, encrypted or otherwise.

Cheers
  -- perry