[G4] Wireless networking

Valerie Maples vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 14 22:48:49 PST 2004

This site intimates that the shared folders' names length must be under 8
characters, and if so, that could be a problem as both the machine name and
"SharedDocs" are over that.  Also, the probable problem of a null password
on both computers.  Security in home is not an issue (no one comes in and I
am the only one who can run my computers), so I always had no password to
facilitate software installation.

UGH!!!
Valerie

On 12/14/04 10:16 PM, "Jim Pacyga" <jim.pacyga at earthlink.net> wrote:

> also have a look at:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/william_white/smbdoc.html
>
> On 14 Dec 2004, at 20:09, Jim Pacyga wrote:
>
>> You don't have something mixed up on the XP machine like plaintext
>> password set on one machine, but unset on the other?  If you haven't
>> modified anything then both should default to encrypted passwords I
>> believe (I know XP does).  That would be the biggest difference I
>> could think of as long as your sure about the user name format.
>>
>> Are you running firewire on the XP?  If so, can you verify that ports
>> 136-138 are open on the XP box?  They need to be for SMB to work.
>>
>> Also, what version of MacOSX are you using.  Mine has worked well
>> since 10.2 but prior versions were a bit dodgey.
>>

>> On 14 Dec 2004, at 19:34, Nick Shank wrote:
>>
>>> Valerie,
>>> Odd. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is,