[G4] Strange G4 issue solved

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Dec 15 08:55:58 PST 2004

Gregory:

It seems it would be a good service if you posted the problem and the
fix to the Apple forum if you have not already done it.

Apple posted the 10.3.6 update on 11/5/04.  You say Raedon's patch for
ATI software was in early November.  Perhaps that was in direct
response to 10.3.6.  There could have been problems on your G4 after
10.3.6 which you did not notice until Apple's security update made
things apparent.

Apple sets standards for coding software which Raedon may not have
followed until after the 10.3.6 updater.  Apple does not test its
software against the thousands of possible third party modifications to
its computers.  That is left up to us in realtime.  A lot of
speculation here.

But the hard question you raise is what about the people who would not
know how to troubleshoot such a problem.  I have no clue what to look
for in Console mode, which I understand is also called Single User mode
in Terminal.  For folks like me, I guess the lesson is to check the web
sites of all manufacturers of third part equipment and software
installed on our Macs after any experience like yours.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.