[G4] Special permissions

perry at cynic.org perry at cynic.org
Tue Dec 21 12:46:09 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:22:36PM -0500, Kevin Willis wrote:
> Every time I repair permissions on my Gigabit G4, I get this message...
> "We are using special permissions for the file or directory
> ./system/library/filesystems/cd9660.util the new permissions are
> 33261".  What does that mean? And, would that have anything to do with
> me having problems ejecting cd's or dvd's from time to time?  BTW, I am
> using a Pioneer DVR 106D DVD-RW.

I don't know what problem it thinks it has. Permission 33261 is 0100755
(octal - don't ask), which simply says it's a normal file writable by root,
and readable and executable by anyone. There doesn't seem to be anything
particularly special about it. You may want to open Terminal and do a
  ls -l /System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util
It should be saying "-rwxr-xr-x" (that's what the permission-fixer wants
to set it to).

Yes, if the permissions on cd9660.util are broken, you may not be able to
manipulate disks in optical drives.

[Note the path difference - it's really .../filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.
I'm assuming that's a typo on your part. If it's not, there's something
messed up in the permission-fixer.]

Cheers
  -- perry