[G4] PC100-2225 vs PC133-xxxx

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 21 13:31:21 PST 2004

On Dec 21, 2004, at 6:08 AM, JWarren371 at aol.com wrote:

> Will I actually notice any differnce if I replace the PC100-2225 chips
> in my Quicksilver 867 withe PC133-xxxx chips?

Short answer:

No.

Longer answer:

Given the right application or benchmark you could certainly "measure"
a difference; however, you almost certainly would not be able to
"notice" the difference while you are using the machine.

Tests done when PC100 and PC133 were leading edge or mainstream show
that if an application is memory sensitive there is a few percent
difference in performance between CAS level 2 and 3 memory sticks.
While the difference between PC100 and PC133 is certainly larger than
the difference between CAS levels you are still unlikely to "notice"
the difference.

So if you're using the machine for work for compute intensive tasks
faster memory will probably pay for itself in the long run, especially
given how cheap memory is these days. (Selling the old memory makes the
pay off even more likely). For home use I wouldn't bother unless the
money involved is inconsequential to you.

Note that having enough memory vastly dwarfs the question of how fast
your memory is. Given how inexpensive memory is these days I'd say that
everyone should have at least 512 KB of RAM.

Phil