[G4] Adding Memory?

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Dec 23 12:35:32 PST 2004

On 23 Dec, 2004, at 10:56, Casey Coulon wrote:

I have a Power Mac G4 AGP 450 and want to add some more memory as the
current 384 mb is just not enough anymore. I know Apple suggests using
PC-100 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM), 3.3 volt, 64-bit wide, 168-pin module,
Unbuffered.

Question is this, can I use PC-133 instead of PC-100? If so, would it
matter if the current installed memory (3 x 128 mb) is PC-100? Has
anyone else tried this? Any problems?

I used differently rated RAM for about a year without any problems that
I could determine. I had two 100s and two 133s in a Gigabit Ethernet
G4, total 512Mb, until I splurged for four 256Mb 133s. Except for
having more active RAM in the G4, I really haven't seen that much
difference between the old set-up and the new.