[G4] using a DP G4 for television broadcasting?

Jonathan I. Nori JIN at destinyimage.com
Thu Dec 30 12:24:38 PST 2004

Hi!

There is an incredible depth of knowledge and experience on this list, and if you don't mind I'd like to take advantage of some of it. :)

I'm experienced in Windows, and I know how I would do some of what I'm about to ask about in Windows, but I've never used a Mac to do video ― at least not for anything more complicated than iMovie. I haven't really worked with video since the age of analog video ended in the early 1990's. I've used my Macs exclusively for book and magazine publishing. I always used Amiga's in the video suite (which I know dates me just a little :).

What I want to do is this:

Record and edit a television show, encode it to MPEG2, and stream it via the internet to a television station in Africa that will pick up the stream and broadcast it via cable and satellite and traditional television signal. (This is the part I'm really unfamiliar with.)

What I'm planning on using:

I have a dual processor G4 533 ("Digital Audio") with 640mb RAM and OSX. I am going to use Live Channel Pro for my video, through a FireWire camera and an external mic attached through the camera (to eliminate sync issues).

What I need to know is:

1. I want to archive my shows to DVD after they are created. Should I use iDVD for this, or am I going to need some incarnation of Final Cut/Adobe Premier/(something else)?

2. Does MPEG2 care about NTSC/PAL/SECAM?

3. To send my a/v stream to the receiving station, will Live Channel do that, or should I be looking for something like what is talked about here: http://all-streaming-media.com/stream-broadcast/free-audio-video-stream-broadcasting-software.htm

Please excuse these questions from a complete a/v n00b. :)

Advice, comments, and snide remarks are all welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Jon  8^)