Finder crash mounting FTP URL

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Feb 2 13:07:13 PST 2004

She can, but I can't, mount ftp servers. I have apparently done something to my login to 10.3.2 that makes Finder crash when I attempt to GO-mount server with a URL like

ftp://ftp.apple.com
ftp://ftp.macnauchtan.com

The sites can be accessed properly with Interarchy or curl and I do use ftp regularly with a username and password for uploads with curl. What happens is that the site mounts in the sense that a desktop icon appears. But opening the icon results in a blank finder window and, in a few seconds, a Finder crash. A second or third attempt just repeats the performance. If I log out and she logs in with a fairly pristine home directory all is well.

Yes. I have done all kinds of things to humanize the UNIX experience but I'm fairly sure that no permissions are any more restrictive than they were at the beginning of time.

What should I be looking for in the crash log? Is there a way to get someone at Apple - with source code - to look at it? If it only happens to me a bug report will get nowhere.

The first lines of  the crash log

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--