G4 Yikes and sawtooth adding and up grade hard drives

Darryl Mueller dmc at darrylmueller.com
Mon Feb 2 20:10:40 PST 2004

  On G 400 yikes and G 400 sawtooth. It seems that you can keep using
the existing hard drive on these macs add a pci controler in the slot
and then add a new ata hard drive. Correct? Then the 2 drive work as one
correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. Then on the new drive, because
apple doesn't support 3 party, firmware, I know just an excuse but when
I have called with problems in the past it's easy to blame 3 party, so I
am looking for some kind of 80 gig. 120 gig.etc apple drive, got any
ideas. Or what drive would be a close copy of and apple drive. And what
about the pci controler where and do they cause any conflicts. I have a
G4 400 yikes with a 10 gig that in the biggest need and my main one. I
also have a G4 500 sawtooth with a 27gig that I just got and might start
using it, my only problem is I am not sure how used it is. Dors mutiple
hard drive and pci controler have any reliability problems.