[G4] Journaling (was: Constant Catalog Corruption)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 12:13:17 PST 2004

On 02/02/04, Ryan Fleming <ryan at randallflagg.ws> wrote:

> Journaling was enabled. What is Journaling anyway?

"Mac OS X: About File System Journaling"
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107249>, states that
journalling "Šenhances computer availability and fault resilience, which is
especially noteworthy for servers. Journaling protects the integrity of the
file system on Xserve and other computers using Mac OS X Server in the
event of an unplanned shutdown or power failure. It also helps to maximize
the uptime of servers and connected storage devices by expediting repairs
to the affected volumes when the system restarts."

INHO, I conclude that it's great for protecting servers from unexpected
outages and allows automatic restarts, but I consider it overkill for
single-user, nonnetworked, home machines. Thus, journalling is disabled on
my machine.