[G4] SCSI, G4 Digital Audio, and OS 10.2.8

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 3 14:17:52 PST 2004

Wade, I futzed with SCSI for years, from a magnificent 40 Mb CMS SCSI
1 drive for my SE-30 in 1989, to my current accelerated G4/400
Gigabit Ethernet. With the advent of OSX, I switched from Adaptec to
Orange Micro 907 (non-bootable) and a 930U (bootable), because my
external drives did not merit anything better. A no time would my G4
every recover from more than a 30 second sleep without a reboot,
though I could boot in OSX from an external SCSI via the OM 930U.
After OS 10.1.5, and because I did not need, nor could afford, a RAID
configuration, I switched to USB internal drives and a FireWire
external back up. Still can't recover from sleep because of the USB
2.0 PCI card to drive all the plug and play peripherals, but I have
not had a system crash in over two years.

Advice. Probably not worth the cost to build an array to use the pair
of Cheetahs, but if you decide to experiment, you should check out
the Orange Micro Website carefully. They have firmware up-daters for
each drive. Make sure that the 940UW can be configured to boot under
which ever version of OSX you are using and there is a compatible
firmware update. Basically you can set the firmware to be recognized
in both OS9 and OSX, or to boot in either OS9, or boot in OSX, but
not all three. As a rule, OSX is not fond of SCSI and you will become
familiar with system extensions such as SCSI Helper, and spend a lot
of time in OS9 doing disk maintenance. Additionally the card is
likely to support internal drives, or external drives, but not both.
After the lack of built in SCSI support in Jaguar, the clincher for
me was the lack of plug and play and the constant switching back and
forth between OS9 and OSX. So now I have a box of SCSI cables, a
couple external drive enclosures and a drives in the closet. If and
when I get my old souped up Mac 7500 back from a friend I will hook
them up. I am not streaming video in real time, just mucking about in
Adobe Photoshop and InDesign without having to earn a living with it.

Mike

G4/400 w/PGM-1000 cache card, Radeon 8500, internal Pioneer 105
DVD-RW, M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card, external 120Gb FireWire
and the original CD-DVDR drive in an external enclosure.

--
Almost never pointless.