[G4] SCSI, G4 Digital Audio, and OS 10.2.8

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 4 12:37:26 PST 2004

>Jaguar is Mac OS X v10.2. You may be talking about earlier versions
>of OS X. Jaguar supported SCSI out of the box.
>
>>[...] the inability to boot off of my external Zip drive in OS
>>9.2.2 drove the move away from SCSI and to FireWire.
>
>Are we talking OS X or OS 9.2.2? Are you talking SCSI problems or
>Zip drive problems?

A combination really. My problem was that I needed to boot my G4/400
from the slower-than-molasses SCSI Zip 100 which was connected to the
bootable Orange Micro 930U, with the external hard drive in the
chain. This left the burner on the Orange Micro 907, which was too
slow to support it. This was during the period when I was playing
with OS 10.1 through OS 10.1.5, but doing my graphics work in OS 9.2.

So I fixed my boot issue and cluttered desktop by installing a second
IDE internal drive, which has OS 9.2.2 and my OS 9 based diagnostic
software on it. Then over the next year, bought my Pioneer DVD-RW
DVR-105, a FireWire enclosure for the Hitachi CD/DVD-R that came in
the G4, and eventually a second FireWrive enclosure for a 120GB
ATA/IDE drive to back up everything on the previous two with
Retrospect. Lesson learned with the SCSI external drive... backing up
is much faster to a hard drive than CD-Rs, DVD-Rs or Zip drives.

Maybe I never gave Jaguar a chance with SCSI. By the time it was
released, my daughter had moved from the PM7200 to an iMac 400 DV/SE
and I never really needed SCSI, afterward. She is still using OS
9.2.2, but I hardly ever use it any more. With exception of Shanghai
II, which my wife loves, and TypeStyler3 for creating logos in
encapsulated postscript for brochures, I could dump OS 9.2.2 and
Classic altogether.

Mike
--
Almost never pointless.