[G4] Sleep: Good or Bad?

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 22:43:57 PST 2004

At 9:40 PM -0500 2/5/04, Kevin Willis wrote:
>	I have  a G4/400 running Jaguar and I was debating wether or
>not to set it up to go to sleep.  I was running Jag. on a 8600
>before, so I was unable to use the sleep feature.  Now I wonder if it
>would  be a good idea.
>	I usually fire my G4 up when I get home from work at 3:00 or
>4:00 PM and leave it on till  I go to  bed at 10:00 or 11:00.  Would
>the sleep feature extend the life of my hard drive as well as the
>rest of the components in the system?  Or does it make a difference
>at all?

Kevin,

I think sleep is a good idea, because your hard drive spins down
and it would seem this would reduce wear and tear. Also, you'll
use less energy, although you may not really notice that. Your
monitor will also get a break.

I put my machine manually to sleep when I'm doing something
where I have to disable the automatic sleep.

This is just my thoughts - YMMV - and I look forward to others'
input on the issue.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com