[G4] Sleep: Good or Bad?

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Fri Feb 6 14:46:09 PST 2004

Thats a very good thing to think about. Spinning up frequently, i guess
that once it is spinning it takes less  force/ power to keep it
spinning. I wonder how significant the reduction of the life of the
Drive is by spinning up and down every  few minutes. This frequent spin
up, spin down  is  promoted in mac os 10.2 and 10.3's Energy Saver
System preference, hence the name "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when
possible." I had this enabled for a short time back when 10.2 came out,
but because it caused such a performance slow down I quickly disabled
it. There use to be  a slider right in the Energy Saver preference
(Since 7.5 http://oit.uta.edu/desktop/energystar/mac7_5.html)  to set
more appropriate times for hard drive spin down that were longer than
"when possible." Which is kind of vague, but i think it means this, if
the drive is not active for a small amount of time (a few minutes) it
spins down... What is the logic behind that? Utilities such as
"cocktail" allow some adjustment of the spin down time but it is
limited to 0 -> 10 minutes.