[G4] Minimum System Requirements

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Feb 10 09:56:32 PST 2004

On Monday, Feb 9, 2004, at 16:45 Canada/Eastern, lavode at comcast.net
wrote:

> [...] I am a little leary of "try it and see" when it comes to
> purchasing software.  After all, if it's opened, most places won't
> take it back.

Always look for demos or trial versions before buying.

> I have a Yikes/400.  If the system requirements on a piece of software
> indicate that it requires at least a G3/500, would my computer work?

The Yikes has a G4 processor, so the answer is yes.

> The whole speed versus generation thing is really irritating.

Just don't use speed to compare processors belonging to different
lines. And keep in mind that speed (clock frequency) is only one factor.

> Is there any documentation on what the difference is between PII-IV,
> Centrino, Celeron, AMD's names [...]

I suspect there're plenty of stuff on that on the web. Try Wikipedia
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page> for fewer figures and a more
historical perspective.