[G4] Sleep, Different Kinds

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 06:02:10 PST 2004

At 10:23 PM -0500 2/10/04, Brian Silverio wrote:
>Anne,
>"Use separate time to put display to sleep" just turns your monitor
>off.  If you are running a download or or backup they will continue to
>run.  Move the mouse or press a key and the monitor turns back on.
>
>"Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" will cause your hard
>drive(s) to spin down if they are not accessed in some (unknown to me)
>time period.  I have five drives and find that my boot drive rarely
>spins down.  The others often do.  Then when I do something that uses
>the "sleeping" drive I have to wait for it to spin up to speed.  Again
>downloads and backups will continue to run w/o problem.
>
>"Put computer to sleep when it is inactive for x minutes" is another
>story.  My understanding of "inactive" is that a human has not touched
>a key or moved the mouse in x minutes.  when this happens your
>downloads will stop, also any other process that is running will stop.
>Things will resume when you wake the machine up.  Your download will
>have to be restarted.  I would think twice about trusting a backup that
>had a system sleep happen in the middle.  Unless you had verified the
>backup.
>
>I hope this helps

It's very helpful.

Just to make sure I've got it -

Display sleep is very light, just the monitor only, all other processes
are up to full speed.

Hard disk sleep is a medium state, all running processes continue and
if they access a disk that disk wakes up.

System sleep is very deep, nothing can happen until you wake it up.

To do backups then I should let it do display sleep and hard disk sleep
but UNCHECK the "put computer to sleep when it is inactive" option.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com