[G4] General OS Craziness w/Two machines

Brian Silverio bsilverio at necc.mass.edu
Wed Feb 11 08:54:53 PST 2004

I have two systems.  A Sept 2001 iBook and a MDD dual processor system.  I keep
them both up to date.  I usually install updates on one and wait a day before
upgrading the other.  I work with Unix operating systems and enjoy doing
updates.  (I know this is sick ;-)

The iBook is very stable. I go weeks between reboots.  New software releases go
on my iBook smoothly.

The MDD is less stable.  It crashes or hangs once a week.  It most often crashes
when being woken from sleep.  I bought a battery UPS but it didn't help.

I do not turn them off unless I will be away for days.  I use sleep.

It may serve you well to get your two machines at the same OS rev and leave them
there.  Having both machines at the same rev is easier on you.  And consider
only doing updates when you have a reason for doing so.

Brian Silverio