[G4] Panther

Wade Perry wadeperry at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 12 14:53:33 PST 2004

<snip>
> To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Panther
>> I have a G4 with 9.2.2 and want to upgrade to Panther.  I also want to
>> add another hard drive. Which HD is recommended to add for video?

I would recommend at least an 80 Gb. With video files as large as they are,
your processor is going to determine most of the speed ( and your
impatience) . If you are "burning" these files to DVD you need about 20 Gb
of space as storage for the burn. I portioned the 80 Gb with 2 partitions (
one 55 Gb as OS and files and one 20 Gb for video work). I also have an
additional Maxtor 30 Gb for backup.

Any manufacturer's 7200 rpm drive should suffice. I hesitate to name a
"brand" as it will trigger posts about the brand and not your question.

One caveat, "MAKE SURE THE DRIVE HAS AN 8 Mb CACHE" . The drive I currently
use for my video work has the 8 Mb cache/buffer and my access times have
been greatly improved.

Look for the best deal. Most Retail stores have deals each week with
rebates. Saw an 80 Gb Western Digital at Comp USA yesterday after rebate for
$59.00 usd.

Good Luck