[G4] Things in Use

VS vs1 at dax.nu
Thu Feb 12 15:20:20 PST 2004

At 14.43 -0500 04-02-12, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>Hi -
>
>Often when I install something, the disk image refuses to be moved to my
>Installers folder or somewhere else, like the Trash. It says it is in use.
>But it isn't, really. Passage of time doesn't make it easier to deal with.
>
>What do you all do with "sticky" items that won't move or go where you
>want them, because they think they are "in use?"
>
>Rebooting sometimes helps.

Yes, that's a real PITA! But you don't have to reboot (most of the
time), you could try to restart the Finder. That might help.

There is a way to find out via the terminal which process is hogging
the image, and then kill that process, but right now I don't remember
the procedure. Anyone else?

In 10.1.5 it was mostly a problem with Toast, but now under 10.3.2 I
find that some Finder resourse is clutching these images even though
it was a long time since I used anything on them. Please, Apple, FIX
this!

/ Vicki