[G4] wireless hub/router suggestions...?

k s d ksd003 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:22:52 PST 2004

Without having a clue as to what I was doing, about a month ago I set up a
wireless network
between my G4 450DP (10.2.8 & 10.3) and my HP Pavilion 8660 (XP) with no
problems at all.
I have the G4 connected directly in to the Linksys WRT54G broadband router
and the PeeCee
has a Belkin 54g card.. no compatability problems at all. I haven't yet
played around with printer
sharing from the PeeCee to the USB Epson Inkjet I have connected to my
Mac... not sure if I'll
get that to work or not.

One thing I am having problems with is I'd like to be able to share folders
on a different drive or
partition than my startup on the Mac. I read briefly and it looks as though
I'm stuck with the
startup partition only... I really don't like this  because I'd like to not
copy/delete every file that
I transfer to my startup drive - drive fragmentation. I try to leave the
startup drive alone unless
something forces me to install there.

Other than that, I'm extremely happy w/the setup I have...
I don't know enough yet about how to keep leeching neighbors out.. but
Linksys has firewall/
MAC Address Filtering and WEP 128-but Encryption. I don't have the WEP
encryption enabled
because I don't want to take the performance hit. I don't think I have any
tech-savvy neighbors
anyway, so looking in to it hasn't been high on my list of priorities.

Best wishes,
Kevin