Firewire Problem

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Wed Feb 18 18:12:16 PST 2004

Hello,

I just purchased a Lacie FireWire Drive "Porche Designed" 160GB HD
(FireWire 400) from MacZone. When plugging into my G4 tower at work it
keeps disconnecting from the computer (1.25Ghz single processor, 2002
model, Apple still sells this one on their online store for $1299).
Every couple of minutes, the drive will disappear from the Finder, and
I'll get a message complaining that the device was improperly
disconnected. I connect a couple of older Lacie FireWire drives on this
same machine, and do not have any communication problems with the
computer.

I can take the problem drive and connect it to my previous generation
iBook 900mhz G3 and use it for hours without any disconnect problems.
Same FireWire cable is used on both machines. Any ideas why the G4
might be having a problem with this particular new Lacie "Porche
Designed" Drive?

Both the iBook and the G4 are running MacOS X 10.3.2.

Joe