[G4] Mixed Network Printing

Rav Norodom rnorodom at snet.net
Sun Feb 22 00:45:03 PST 2004

 From Jaguar, I am not so sure. But from Panther, Yes you can:

1. Open System Preferences, select Print & Fax, and check "Share my
printers...."
2. In System Preferences, select Sharing, under Services select
"Windows Sharing" and "Printer Sharing"
3. In Windows ME, add printer that appears as "Deskjet 940c" (or you
printer's name) under "powermacg4" or name of your Mac that is defined
under the System Perferences. When ask for driver, select Apple
LaserWriter (Mac accepts only PostScript language from Windows). When
ask for driver's components, insert Windows ME Reinstallation disk and
select "win9x" folder. All Apple's LaserWriter driver components are in
there. When print from Windows, the file goes straight to Apple's print
spooler. There won't be file showing inside Windows' print spooler. All
file will be printed in color under Apple LaserWriter driver. When I
tested printing from Outlook Express in Windows Me to Mac's Deskjet
940c printer, the characters prints out weird looking. I don't know
what else I need to do to make it right at this point.

I also had tried the other way around also (printing from Mac to PC
printer). The character prints out fine but the quality is not so
great. It's ink dithering is too visible which causes grayish tone over
all.

Later on, I bought a separate printer for my PC just to safe my
headache. I think Laser Printer that has PostScript and network
hardware built-in can really get the job done right when printing from
any platform. USB printer is good only for sharing among single
platform.

Rav