[G4] G4 acting up

zhmmy harper zhmmy at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:34:39 PST 2004

Kevin, this may or may not help.  I had the same type problems when I had
9.2.2 installed.  Anything above 9.2.1 gives problems as standalones because
they apparently are designed especially for use as OSX companion systems.
When I went back to 9.2.1 it totally solved the problems.  I know how much
people are enamoured of Jaguar and Panther but in my opinion 9.2.1 was the
best system that Apple has come up with.  I'm glad to see that someone else
is sticking with 9.  Sure saves me a lot of money to replace all my graphics
and AV programs.

I also had similar problems that were solved by unplugging and replugging
all the cables, especially if you are using any external SCSI drives of any
type.  Weird things also happen if you don't have the Pioneer cable plugged
in just right, that can even prevent startup.

Zhmmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just begun to have some weird issues with my G4/400.  It started with
my display settings getting lost when I start it up. Today, the whole
display profile that I set up  was gone as well as the monitor that I use.
It wasn't listed in the display preferences. Also, the Pioneer DVD burner
that I installed last week has been inconsistent ejecting CD's.  When I push
the eject button on the keyboard, the cd is unmounted from the desktop, but
the DVD rom doesn't spit it out.  When that happens, I can check it in the
device manager and it shows up as not being supported for burning.  I can
restart it and get it to work.  It even shows up as fully supported. Any
thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

P.S. I am running OS 9.2.8.

----------
G4ist, a listserv for discussion of everything G4.
FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/G4.html>.
Send a message to <G4-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest.

XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers! Dr. Bott
| Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

Dr. Bott LLC   4-port USB Hub in translucent Graphite!
Dr. Bott LLC   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ghub.html>

Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras |
--Quicksilver & refurbished G4's arriving daily! |   and Camcorders!!    |

OS X News, Dr.Mac, Forums, Tutorials, Tips, Hints, FAQ?s -
http://www.osxfaq.com