[G4] Preparing to migrate to G4 MDD

Steven steven at sifre.nl
Wed Feb 25 05:47:15 PST 2004

Hello all,
Apologies for the late response, most of the responses got lost in the
mail on my end due to a rather dumb spam defense scheme... :-( Should be
fixed now.. I read the responses in the archive and much appreciate the
feedback I received.

To clear up a few things.. It is not my intention to keep using the scsi
drive in the G4. The scsi card and drive are currently used in an G3
upgraded 8600. It contains only my user directory because I cannot boot
into Mac OS X from it. (But I can boot 9 from it). I boot into X from a
slower scsi drive connected to the slower internal scsi bus. This 8600
doesn't have firewire which leaves me with ethernet or installing the
disk as a means of transferring the contents of my user directory. As
the 8600 doesn't have very fast ethernet either installing the disk
seemed to me the fastest and most reliable method. As I understand from
the responses this could be an option or at least I could give it a try
without doing any damage, right?

As for the RAID question: Setting up a RAID volume wouldn't improve
general use disk performance?

thanks,

Steven

steven at sifre.nl