[G4] What online venders do you trust? - RAM

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 1 12:07:38 PST 2004

On 12/30/03, Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 4:44 PM -0500 12/28/03, Tracker at aol.com wrote:
>>You are forgetting one basic precept of waranties that can apply
>>regardless of the product manufacturer: If you install it yourself, the
>>waranty is voided!
>
> Would this be the case with an Apple tower?

NO

> My understanding was that you void the warranty in a laptop but not in a
>tower.

Your understanding is wrong.

> The whole point of buying a tower is to easily install lots and lots of
>extra RAM
> over its lifetime.

True

> If this is true, I might as well stick with the iMacs for the time being
> and just let the machine run on the RAM it comes with, then buy a new
> one after a couple years.

Or you might as well stick with the iMac AND add RAM to it. Go to
<http://kbase.info.apple.com/index.jsp> and search for iMac cip. As I
previously stated, Apple considers RAM to be a customer installable
part-check any user manual. iBooks
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50031>, PowerBook
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86518>, iMac, or desktop.

My choice of vendors is Chip Merchant <http://www.thechipmerchant.com/>,
but they're based here in San Diego, so getting to them isn't any chore for
me. However, I've never heard of any problems with their online service or
returns under their warranty.