[G4] Panther upgrade

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Sat Jan 3 22:56:01 PST 2004

Wow! That's a lot of fear you've got bottled up there. :-)

In general: lighten up. What you're planning to do is absolutely normal and
simple, and shouldn't cause you any heartburn. Basically you will
 (*) Insert installation CD
 (*) Reboot with "C" key held down
 (*) Optionally, launch the disk tool and format/partition the disk
 (*) Pick the right partition to install into
 (*) Install

You can then switch between Jaguar and Panther using the startup
preferences/control panel, or by holding down the Option key while
rebooting to get the "pick disk" menu. Everything's going to be all right.

Now if you *must* know the answers to your fears, here are some:

You can install Panther and Jaguar versions on different partitions (on the
same or different disks) and boot them both without problems. They will not
mess up existing filesystems. This will not change your OF settings (unless
you perform certain arcane rituals involving installation over the network).

The only supported way to get a case sensitive filesystem is to use UFS. I
would strongly discourage you from doing this; UFS performs like a dog, and
has no fork support. If you absolutely must have case sensitivity for some
work, partition the disk, install the system into an HFS+ partition, and
format a separate work partition for UFS.

During OS installation, you boot off the installation CD. It doesn't matter
whether (or what type) of existing system(s) you have on other disks.
Nothing will be installed into partitions that are not the install target.
Just don't install into the wrong place. :-)

If you want to make it physically certain that your Mac can't write to a
disk, you have to either disconnect it (using the ATA or power cables), or
jumper the drive to write-protect mode. Neither is necessary for what you
say you're going to do, but I understand paranoia. :-) If you do this, make
sure your Mac is off when you do it, and ground yourself properly.

Both Jaguar and Panther support journaled HFS+. Enabling journaling during
install (well, formatting) is *not* a problem, and it helps stability
(though it slows things down *slightly*). A non-journal HFS+ system (say,
9.2) will be able to use a journaled filesystem just fine *if* it was shut
down cleanly, though of course it won't use journaling itself.

Some of the mechanisms of remote filesystem mounting have changed from
Jaguar to Panther, so you *may* need to re-work any custom hacks you did.
Most of the changes are in autoimmune functionality though, so if you
explicitly invoke mount_afp, you're probably okay (except for changes to
explicit mount point paths, of course).

Cheers
  -- perry

--On Saturday, January 3, 2004 8:17 PM -0700 Doug McNutt