733mhz G4 Loudish Fan

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 4 09:39:39 PST 2004

Hi -

All working all right, I guess. It's been in for broken fan once already,
and I've checked with Applecare re "how loud should it be?" and they
say when Photoshop is up it should be louder, as more RAM, things
heat up, etc. so the fan is working harder to keep things cool. And
it should be quieter while surfing, doing email, stuff like that.

I'm hard of hearing, so I'm not sure how loud it is. It's just loud
enough to notice, and all I'm doing is email.

I think this machine has issues with fans. Any input? It's okay for
it to be loud, but I want to be aware if it is getting too loud so I
can get it repaired, replaced, etc. before I'm in the middle of a
crucial project or something.

1. Is there a device that I can buy at Sears to measure decibels,
so I can track the loudness for awhile?

2. How loud are y'all's fans for various models?

3. How important is this problem? - Can I buy a pile of fans and
replace 'em myself so I'm not down for three weeks waiting for
the official Apple person to do it?

Many thanks for all the wonderful advice I've been getting on
this list. I have a small child so I know I need to contribute
more but it's hard.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com