[G4] Panther upgrade

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Sun Jan 4 13:20:56 PST 2004

--On Sunday, January 4, 2004 1:32 PM -0700 Doug McNutt
<douglist at macnauchtan.com> wrote:

> With regard to case sensitivity I am told that, I can do it if Panther is
> running. I don't know if I can do it to the disk on which I intend to
> install while booted from the CD-ROM. Will Terminal work from there?

The standard install CDs don't contain Terminal, and don't contain a
provision to otherwise run an arbitrary program. Sorry. You should be able
to boot single-user (set the CD as startup disk and hold down Command-S
after rebooting) and do your UNIXish best.

As for case-sensitive HFS+, that's a new feature alright - which means you
may well have a few problems using such a filesystem under Jaguar. Your
call. I do a lot of UNIX hacking, and I've never had any trouble due to
HFS+'s case insensitivity.

Good luck
  -- perry