[G4] G4 WD ATA drive

Amir 'CG' Caspi cepheid at ssl.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 5 15:24:05 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, sr ferenczy wrote:

> well... its a toss up. most drives today are ATA-100 spec (100 MB/s),
> but still only get around 20 MB/s transfer rates. and i believe the AGP

True, but that's sustained rates.  Burst rates can go much higher and so
the card can provide some limited boost.

> On Jan 5, 2004, at 11:42 AM, Steven Austen wrote:
> > advantage of the newer drives' higher access speed.  If so, is it
> > worth the $80 for the PCI card?

Many of the Western Digital drives today come with a *FREE* ATA-100 PCI
card included in the box.  I know all the boxes I've seen a Circuit City
have stickers that say a free card is included.

--
						--- Amir