video card

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Thu Jan 8 07:52:44 PST 2004

on 08/01/2004 14:20, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Subject: [G4] video card?
> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:39:45 -0500
>
> What is the best, video card now, that would work in my older Sawtooth
> G4?
>

> Tks-
> Richard

The best that provides dual monitor support would be the Radeon 9800 with
DVI and VGA, 128MB of RAM, followed by the Radeon 8500 with DVI and VGA,
64MB RAM.
The problem with the Sawtooth is that it can't use ADC, so any video cards
with ADC ports are "wasted" - though naturally if you only need 1 monitor,
you could always use the DVI (or VGA) port, so at that point any ATI video
card should be okay, as well as most nVidia cards (though there may be
trouble with 8x AGP cards, you'd have to check for info on that).

I like the Radeon 8500. You could also try a PC version of the Radeon 8500
and flash it with Mac firmware, which might save you $50 or so.

Good luck.

Chris