Problems with Pioneer 106 in G4 DP450

Eric O. Gold eric at thedatadude.com
Sat Jan 10 17:58:38 PST 2004

I just purchased two Pioneer DVR-106D "SuperDrives" from OWC at
MacWorld SF ($135 ea.), as replacement for the original optical drive
that came with my PowerMac G4. Here are my machine specs:

Powermac G4, DP 450 MHz ("Gigabit Ethernet")
896mb RAM
Mac OS 10.3.2

The installation went without a hitch and I went about immediately
burning some CDs. However upon attempting to burn a third CD I
immediately got a message saying the burn failed. I couldn't even eject
the unburned CD as the drive wouldn't respond to either the Eject
keyboard button, nor pressing the eject button on front of the drive
itself. It took a reboot to get the drive "back", but this behavior was
consistently repeated after 1 or 2 burns. Rebooting only fixes the
problem temporarily. In addition, after this behavior there was a
change in what the System Profiler reported on the drive:

Before burning problems:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D:
   Manufacturer:	PIONEER
   Model:	PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D
   Revision:	1.07
   Serial Number:	CLDC446233WL
   Drive Type:	CD-RW/DVD-RW
   Disc Burning:	Apple Supported/Shipped
   Removable Media:	Yes
   Detachable Drive:	No
   Protocol:	ATAPI
   Unit Number:	0
   Socket Type:	Internal

Immediately after burning problems, these two lines are *missing* from
the description:
Manufacturer:	PIONEER
Disc Burning:	Apple Supported/Shipped

The drive acts as if it loses power after either some period of time or
activity. After manually ejecting a disk, the tray has to be re-closed
manually - as if there is no power coming to the drive.

Here is what I tried (unsuccessfully) to troubleshoot the problem:
1. Since I had purchased a second drive for a friend, I tried swapping
the drives.
2. Reset the PRAM
3. Hit the reset switch on the motherboard
4. Confirmed that the jumper on the drive was in the "Master" position

OWC tech support doesn't know what the problem is. Haven't tried using
the drive with iDVD yet.

Any ideas out there?

TIA, Eric Gold