G4 400 dual monitor support

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 19 04:49:05 PST 2004

     scart (aka 5c4r7) wrote:

>Hi, I have a G4 400 running 9.2.2 and 10.2.8.  I was wondering what
>would be the cheapest AGP card I could get that would allow me to run
>dual monitors?  All my PCI slots are full so I can't add a video card
>there.  Right now I have the stock rage 16mb card in.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

     Take a look at the ATI Radeon 7000 Mac edition. It's selling new
for $106 - $110 (Buy.com, MacConnection, &c.). Make certain you get
the "Mac Edition" and not the cheaper (sigh) PC version, unless you
have a friend with a PC and feel like trying to modify the firmware.
If you go to eBay, be careful of the "64 Mbyte Mac ATI Radeon 7000"
items for sale --- at least some of them are firmware-modified PC
cards, and only support a single monitor, if the images in the
listings are accurate. The real item should have DVI, VGA, and
S-video outputs.

     HTH,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA