[G4] Connecting from my Mac to my Virtual PC Windows XP

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Mon Jan 19 12:48:13 PST 2004

Billy,

You should be able to browse for it in the Finders "Network Browser"
but don;t do it because it is more trouble than it is worth use the GO
way it is much better.....

If it does not show up try going to the finder and using the Go (pull
down menu) -> connect to server and type smb://and the IP address of
the the VPC windows machine. It seems the way that the default settings
are set for VPC this will not work. As a matter of fact with my Virtual
PC set up configured to Shared Networking I can not even connect to my
Mac using File Sharing, gives a permissions error on windows; however I
can connect to another windows machine on my network with out a
problem. So since the mac and vpc are sort of generically sharing one
IP address the machines can't see each other completely (?)....

So what to do:

1. Shut Down Window XP
2. Go to the VPC List and select /click once on the  Windows Xp Click
on the settings Button. Then under current setting go to network. I bet
it is set on Shared Networking Change it to Virtual Switch. Note that
Virtual Switch requires a separate IP address for the VPC windows. So
if your home set-up  has a router with Dynamic DHCP your all set. If
you just have one IP address Ex Dial-up or something else here is what
you may have to do.

[Skip if you have a Router]
(note sure if this works but in theory it should, because if you have a
mac and a PC physically networked with a hub it works for file sharing,
So the VPC would Connect internally thinking it is on the network then
getting an IP from the macs IP sharing )(I am not a network expert so
mabey someone else could confirm this)
Turn on IP sharing on the mac Go to System prefs then Sharing then
Internet TAB, then make your selection there (built in ethernet) and
then Click start sharing.  Note this may cause problems according to
your set up (For example if there is already a DHCP network there or if
you try to share a connection directly back into the [ethernet
connected cable / DSL modem not sure about this but i don't think your
isp would like that].... If you have nothing plugged into the ethernet
port then you certainly will have no problem with IPs conflicting..

4. Start windows, then get your new IP address it will be different
from the last one you entered in Go> connect to. Then it should
work......

Dan Brieck Jr.