[G4] Dantz Retrospect

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Jan 20 20:27:01 PST 2004

On Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004, at 19:26 Canada/Eastern, Daniel Brieck wrote:

> First about the manual don't read it? You probably won't get much out
> of it.

Worst advice I ever came across--

No, wait. On second thoughts, it's excellent advice. That's how
consultants like me stay in business.

> It starts like this you buy the Retrospect software which works well,
> then you update mac os x and retrospect is now slightly broken. Now it
> is time  to spend $59.00 ( for Example I bought  5.1 update in July
> 2003) for an upgrade to get back to full functionality.

It's not a Retrospect issue, it's the business paradigm of the software
industry. Applications that require low-level access will be more
affected than others (e.g., disk utilities more than word processors),
but all software is affected. Don't like it? Too bad, most customers
apparently do, otherwise why would they continuously shell out the
greenbacks for more hardware and software?