Software Compatibility, Tangent to Dantz Retrospect

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 05:18:36 PST 2004

I guess this shows us that Apple is making significant changes to the
underlying OS, which is good, because Windows Applications seems to run
a long time. This is probably why virus are so potent on windows, they
have had 8 years to learn how to exploit it with  little changes done
to the os  ..

Here is the reality from a buying perspective...  For example I bought
this ancient Software compiler called Turbo C++, it was made in 1994,
and it seems to run with out a hitch on Windows XP? Now on the other
hand my encyclopedia software built for mac os X World Book v 6.0 from
2000 or 2001 is completely useless now on 10.3. Luckily a local user
group gave me the jaguar version in exchange for a review of the app. I
expect it to be probably be broke when "we" install 10.4  just like the
original WB. These are not utilities either if they were I could expect
them to be broken.... The mac application WB 6.0 was a flagship Cocoa
application, now its broke / garbage. However, a Carbon Application
Ultralingua ESP-ENG from 2001 still works fine.....

Windows ----Good Compatibility over the long haul for older apps
(Sparingly about 5-8 years) for certain apps.

Mac OS X  ---- Limited [Could be a better word here] Compatibility over
the long haul (6-months to 24-months) for certain apps

There has to be a "happy medium" between this...  Just something to
think about

Dan Brieck Jr.